A piece of video game art




I'd always heard a lot about this game but I've never had a Playstation so never played it. If you look up top ten lists of best games of all time I'm pretty sure Shadow of the Colossus is going to be in there. Gotta say that after playing it though, it didn't quite live up to my expectations but it's a great game all the same. I expected there to be more of a story, which turned out to be a bit on the thin side, but there was still a massive and gorgeous map to explore on your way to each colossus. The colossi and the architecture are beautifully designed as well, taking a lot of cues from ancient mayan and/or aztec style, which I really enjoyed. After finishing the game I also stumbled across some of the massive fan culture that exists behind this game. I'd heard mention before of there being secrets in the game and possibly one which still hadn't been discovered since the game's release in 2005 but I didn't know how deeply people got into this. As I discovered in this youtube video chronicling the quest for this final secret there was a forum thread with thousands of posts and over 10 years of regular activity, on which people did extensive research and came up with all sorts of theories about hidden meanings behind stuff in the game. Though beautiful to see evidence of how a game, which is as close to being a piece of art as any painting,  could motivate people like this and spark their imagination and curiosity, I was disappointed by the end of the video to find out that there was no big secret. The developers did make up for this by putting one more secret in the reboot of the game, but what it was still felt a bit empty to me. Then again, that sparking of everyone's curiosity and passion for something like this was probably more valuable.

Comments

Popular Posts