Laying it on thick


Re-watched Wall-E the other day and decided to do some studies of it. The goal was to use mostly blocks of flat color and simple shapes, not too much detail, to mimic the style of some of Pixar's concept art I've seen. I'm often a bit stingy with my paint so I had to force myself to lay the paint on thicker to get the flat blocks of color, and I usually can't help trying to make things look too detailed and realistic, so all this combined made for a fun challenge. The only thing I didn't fully plan on was the limited palette but I think it works well.
   Watching this movie for the second time it's just as cute, if not cuter than it was the first time around. You can't help but admire how much character and emotion they managed to give this little robot who basically only has a pair of binoculars for a face. Though there's also a sad aspect to watching a now 11-year-old movie which warns us about pollution, waste and monopolies. Let's hope we're not too late yet in heeding Wall-E's message.

Comments

Popular Posts