Re-watching Blade Runner



I just watched the original Blade Runner for the 2nd time, the 'Final Cut' version on Netflix. The first time I watched the original but I can't say how different it is because that was quite a few years ago. Watching it again now though, especially after having more experience with drawing and painting has made me appreciate even more what an incredible work of art this movie is. I'll be the millionth person to say it but there are so many beautiful shots, made up of interesting colors and plays of light.
That and the soundtrack keep you mesmerized and immersed in the purest of cyberpunk worlds shown on screen to date (in my opinion). The vintage film quality and computers in the movie make it feel even more cyberpunk, also on a kind of meta level. I'm sitting here, watching a 40-year-old movie in the same year the movie is set, with a computer in my lap which is infinitely more advanced than those shown in the movie. Kinda weird.
The effects in the movie hold up perfectly as well, and I will always prefer this movie the way it was originally made, with all the analog processes. When you really think about all the work that went into actually making the sets and backgrounds, you realize that Blade Runner is a piece of art on a massive scale, way beyond just what you see on screen. Maquettes, matte paintings, physical sets, and then all the concept design that came even before those. There's also a kind of unintended aspect of production quality to it, in image quality and lens effects that come with the cameras of the time, which movies nowadays try to replicate with vfx, often overdoing it. It all adds up to a blissful change of pace from most modern movies, made with 90% green screens and CG. I hope they never make a remake of the original.
All that said, I still love modern movies too, and I'm gonna continue with Blade Runner 2049, also for the second time, which has the right mix of practical effects and modern technology and which I already enjoyed immensely the first time around.


Comments

Popular Posts