Palm in an unusual place


These palms sprout up everywhere they can in the botanical garden, whether they're supposed to or not. Still I never expected one to sprout up high on a branch of this old Virginia Oak. with the spotty sunlight shining through the leaves it struck me and while this was the fastest painting I've done so far, it wasn't the easiest. I started out with a very light wash of blue as the background sky color, but towards the end I found that that was the wrong way to go about it. I thought the dark shape of the tree would stand out against the bright background and in turn the lit parts of the palm against the tree. Instead it made the palm not stand out at all so I toned down the sky color a bit to make the palm stand out as the brightest point in the painting, while in reality the sky might have been just as bright if not brighter than the highlights on the palm.

Comments

Popular Posts