Another subject to practice

Credito Artigiano, Piazza V. Emanuele, Pisa, 29 July 2019

Architecture. I usually prefer other subject matter to paint because it doesn't allow the same kind of freedom. When painting a flower you can add an extra fold or crease in the petal and it can still look like the same flower but buildings always have to be properly in perspective and proportion if you want the painting to look anything like the real thing, so it allows less room for expression. It's not that architecture doesn't interest me though, so when I walked downtown to find some subject matter I saw this building and thought why not. It kind of stood out, being much taller and more modern than the surrounding buildings but its design wasn't too complicated for a casual painting so I thought it would be good practice. The final result has turned out a bit less detailed and more pastel-colored than my other works but I'm quite happy with the result nonetheless.

Torre Guelfa, Pisa, 1 August 2019

This second piece was done a couple of days later. I saw it on the way to another location I had marked on Google Maps, but seeing this I decided to save myself more walking. I got there in the morning, while the birds were flying in and out of those holes you see on the tower. They disappeared later on but I added a couple dark spots to suggest their earlier presence. This one again turned out brighter and more pastel-colored than I had in mind for some reason, but I'm not unhappy with it.

Comments

Popular Posts