Botanical collect-'em-all



I love making these small botanical sketches so much that I have a whole separate sketchbook for them, a pocket-sized Paperblanks with botanical art on the cover as well. With the botanical garden within walking distance it's just a really fun thing to draw, and I love to flip through that little sketchbook and see how many species I've already 'collected' in it. It's like a botanical gotta catch 'em all, not to mention that there's no better way to get to know all these beautiful plants and their names. I've settled on the method of making a pencil sketch on location and tracing the lines with fineliners at home. Especially now in the summer it's too hot to do everything on location anyway. In the beginning of this sketchbook I experimented with combining the fineliner with pencil and india ink for shading, but I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the coherent look of only pen for linework and shading. The work I've done in this sketchbook has been a great exercise on using varying line thicknesses and the effects it achieves, and drawing shapes from all different angles.






Comments

Popular Posts